Unlawful activities on ETSU Computers
The following unlawful activities are not permitted.
A. Display of Obscene Materials
- The distribution and display of obscene materials is prohibited by the laws of Tennessee (see Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-902).
- Federal Law (18 U.S.C. 2252) prohibits the distribution across state lines of child pornography.
- Defamation is a civil tort that occurs when one, without privilege, publishes a false and defamatory statement, which changes the reputation of another.
C. Violation of Copyright
- Federal law gives the holder of copyright five exclusive rights, including the right to exclude others from reproducing the copyrighted work. Many webpages are copyrighted works.
- Gambling including that performed with the aid of the Internet is prohibited under Tennessee state law (see Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-502).